Friday, July 20, 2007

"I Disagree with His Policies, but I Admire His Carefully Groomed Moustache"

-
---Comment by a coworker, mocking the idea that we should include Hitler in our bracket-game of dueling moustaches.

So it's been a busy, busy couple of weeks. There was a trip to Southern Maryland with the family, two parties for Jay's birthday, late-night poker out on the deck, the installation of our fence, more swims in the river and games of "Washing Machine" (in which Aunt Lynnie swoshes Ryan and Lindsey back and forth in the water, until her muscles give out and she falls face down in the river to the amusement of all), movie-going, crabcake-eating, and general visiting with relatives. Sally left to go back to Texas this week, but we had a wonderful visit. Also got to see the nephews, Jared and Keith.

Last night I finished one of the most interesting books I've ever read: The Closing of the Western Mind, by Charles Freeman. It's a history of the years between the classical world of Greece and Rome and the emergence of medieval Europe. FAScinating. I've been immersed in reading ancient history for so long that I've lost all perspective . . . I have no idea whether an average reader (by which I mean the intelligent, curious readers of my general acquaintance) would find this book too heavy-going. But I suspect it would be of great interest for those with any tolerance for long history books.

Am hoping to pick up a copy of the new Harry Potter book at midnight tonight and thus avoid spoilers. Will read this weekend, process the mountains of laundry that have accumulated, get hair cut, try to locate Italian CDs, and update blog with photos. Hope all those who are reading out there have a great weekend as well.
-

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 20, 2007 at 9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how do you like the new Harry Potter book, Lynn? I got it Sat. morning (thank you, Amazon) and finished Sat. night. (not that I'm bragging--just sharing information :>)

July 23, 2007 at 12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, I haven't started it yet! But I have to get going or else I know I'm going to get a spoiler thrown in my face sometime soon . . . will report back when read!

July 23, 2007 at 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home