Monday, June 16, 2008

The Saddest Sculpture in the World

-
A few entries ago I posted a sculpture from the Capitoline Museum in Rome. I remember looking at it and thinking how sad the woman looked, with the armaments of war behind her. As I was looking at it, Maggie came up behind me, looked at it for a minute, and said quietly, "She just looks so SAD." That sculpture and moment have always stayed with me.

Below is a sculpture from Switzerland that Mark Twain called the saddest sculpture in the world. Ed and Tim just got back from a trip there where they took the photo below. Apparently the sculpture was made after a particularly devastating war where the Swiss saw broken soldiers heading back home, and it was then that they undertook their vow of neutrality:


3 Comments:

Blogger DJ said...

Just beautiful---there's such a sad truth in that lion's face and posture. It evokes The Dying Gaul for me: http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Arts/Pergamon/DyingGaul.jpg. Etched on the dying soldier's face are a disbelief, anguish, hopelessness as life ebbs away. *end Rorschach*

June 17, 2008 at 1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes . . . and The Dying Gaul was in the same museum (Capitoline in Rome) as that other sculpture I posted. It was a thrill to see it in person. It's cool that a Greek artist (and later Roman copyist) made this compassionate portrait of a military enemy.

June 17, 2008 at 6:25 PM  
Blogger wordwitch said...

Ah! The Lion of Lucerne! I saw that in 1983 when I went over with a choral group. I LOVED Lucerne...beautiful mountains, a lake, and fantastic covered bridges...not to mention the painted buildings and fountains. wow.

June 20, 2008 at 7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home