Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mish Mash

-
I watched Two Lovers the other night, starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Joaquin Phoenix as troubled New York young people hitting the bars and trying to find happiness. I'm always struck by how great Joaquin Phoenix is; he has a quality of realism and particularity, the ability to create really specific characters, that is rare. And yet, this is the weird thing, he ultimately botched the role because he played the character so troubled and in a fog that he came across as slightly mentally deficient or mentally ill. It's odd that he can be so good in specific moments and yet the entire performance be off key. I didn't believe that either of the beautiful women in his life would be attracted to him, as hot and intense as individual scenes may have been.

I pulled out Chris Cornell's album Carry On this morning.  Several years ago I listened to this album every day for months and remember it with much affection. But when I put it on this morning and the strains of the first song began, I realized I had forgotten how GREAT it is.

I've dipped back into the romance genre again. I just recommended two books by Jo Goodman to my friend D: If His Kiss Is Wicked, and One Forbidden Evening. I want her to tell me if I'm crazy for thinking they're good.
-

3 Comments:

Blogger DJ said...

my dear kibble, you are crazy, but it has nothing to do with your reading list.

*canned laughter*
*clown slips on banana peel*

January 13, 2011 at 4:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Strange coincidence--I have listened to Carry On multiple times in the last ten days, once twice through at one sitting. I had forgotten how good it was but had woken recently with a snippet of Killing Birds running through my head.

I thinking turning me on to Chris Cornell via this CD is the best gift you've ever given me, with the exception of your marvelous friendship.

January 16, 2011 at 8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie, you know what would be the equivalent to Chris Cornell for me? Pie. I distinctly remember when you brought a pie into work, and you said, "Cookies are a pain, but pie is easy. You just dump some fruit in a crust and that's about it." It was like the sky lit up with a great revelation . . . pie . . . is . . . EASY. Now I am a frequent pie maker and I think of you almost every time I make it.

January 17, 2011 at 2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home