Sunday, May 1, 2011

Jerusalem Hymn

-
Everyone's been talking about this hymn since it was performed at the royal wedding, so I stuck my nose in to see what the fuss is about. It's a poem by William Blake that was later set to music, was used by early Labour Party candidates who were trumpeting workers' rights, and by English football teams. It's based on the legend that, as a young man, Jesus visited England with Joseph of Arimethea:


And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!

I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land


It was also featured in Chariots of Fire, from whence (I now see) the movie's title comes.
-

3 Comments:

Blogger farfromgruntled said...

I was really happy when this hymn was chosen because I have watched (and cried through) Chariots of Fire far too many times. Also, I love Blake and his sense of wonder and pain when looking upon the world. As a youthful agnostic of nonexistent religious upbringing, this is as close as I get to a hymn that speaks to the things I love.

May 1, 2011 at 7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adore Chariots of Fire too, yet I had never noticed this hymn before. It's really beautiful.

May 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM  
Blogger DJ said...

our hoity-toity high school, trying MIGHTILY to be an english public school, sang this hymn at every commencement. it makes me weep. the hymn, i mean. not the hoity-toity striving. that mostly just makes me giggle and roll my eyes.

May 2, 2011 at 5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home