Monday, March 26, 2007

Avenue Montaigne

We saw a lovely French movie this weekend: Avenue Montaigne. Funny, romantic, clever but not sappy or too whimsical, it's what critics call a "delightful" movie. This kind of movie seems to be one of the rarest birds in cinema. It's complex, but not dark. Artistic, but accessible. Funny, but subtle. I've been trying to think of similar movies, but the only ones I can think of are two other French titles: L'Auberge Espanole (about a group of young people in Barcelona on an EU grant) and Amelie (though I know some find the whimsy factor too high in this one).

I'm generally not a fan of French dramas (Under the Sand, and its ilk) but I do love French comedies and thrillers. The French comedies I've seen (not that many) are very broad and often involve a sophisticated or professional man stuck in some situation with a dolt he disdains but who nonetheless manages to unwittingly screw up his life. Examples: Les Comperes, Le Chevre, and The Dinner Game. Some French thrillers: With a Friend Like Harry, La Ceremonie, and La Fleur du Mal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home