Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Unreliable Narrators

-
I started reading a book called An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England, and the narrator is annoying me. He's mentally off-key and he's a liar, and I'm tiring of him. Which is strange, because I usually LOVE the anti-hero narrator. In particular, I like the way the reader has to glimpse the "real story" in between the lines of the narration. Some recent novels in which such a narrator is featured:

The Egyptologist: One of my very favorite recent novels, narrated by a self-deluded archaeologist wanna-be who's just one mountain ridge over from the biggest archaeological find in Egypt.

Half-Broken Things: A psychological mystery/thriller about a disturbed older woman house-sitting for a family and slowly taking over their life.

Notes on a Scandal: The book on which the recent film with Judi Dench was based, it's narrated by an older schoolteacher who befriends a young, inexperienced teacher.

13 Steps Down: My favorite Ruth Rendell mystery, about a disturbed young man living in the 3rd floor of a house owned by a, yes, disturbed elderly woman; they share the narration in alternate chapters.
-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home