Friday, May 9, 2008

Cheese, Gromit, Cheese!

-
I made homemade cheese yesterday. It's queso blanco, which has to be the easiest cheese in the world to make. You need exactly two ingredients, and both common items:


QUESO BLANCO (from Home Cheese Making)

1 gallon whole milk (pasteurized, but not ultra-pasteurized)
1/4 c vinegar (author and I used apple cider vinegar)

1. Heat the milk to 190 degrees F. Stir occasionally and don't let it boil.

2. Add the vinegar, small amounts at a time, stirring.

3. Remove from heat, and let sit until the curds (solids) separate from the whey (liquid). This took about 10-15 minutes.

4. Carefully ladle out the curds into a colander and let them drain.

At this point, the instructions say to wrap the curds in butter muslin and hang over a bowl, so that more whey can drip out. But when I did that, my cheese was too dry. I recommend just letting them drip in a colander for about 10 minutes. At this point you can add salt and herbs if you like (the cheese is pretty bland). Because my cheese was too dry and crumbly, I added a little milk to make it spreadable.

-

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did it! The first cheese. I think I speak for the entire BEBC when I say we are so proud.

May 10, 2008 at 3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, and even better: We had a cocktail party last night, served the cheese, and no one died!

May 11, 2008 at 12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheese by Lynn: Good taste, low mortality rate.

May 12, 2008 at 11:02 PM  
Blogger DJ said...

Do you see? The world is ALREADY changing for the better, and Barry isn't even PRESIDENT yet. Oh my god. I'm so excited for January.

May 14, 2008 at 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home