Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What a Wonderful World

-
I just finished watching the Inauguration of Barack Obama as President of the United States. I cried five separate times. It's just the most incredible thing, after such a long, long spell of the citizenship version of "cognitive dissonance"---where everything your country is doing is at complete odds with your core values. I felt today what I felt from the first times I heard Obama speak and write: He is saying exactly what I believe. That doing the right thing is also the advantageous thing. That you can pursue peace and justice without surrendering to those who pursue evil. That our freedom depends on every person acting with virtue, in big ways and small. That we can admit the terrible wrongs of our national past without abandoning our pride or dismissing the things we did right. This was a beautiful day, and my heart surges in gratitude for every soul that made it possible.
-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home