Tuesday, January 13, 2009

What Women Want

-
I had read Caitlin Flanagan's article "What Girls Want" (about the movie and book Twilight) online last week. But when someone brought me a hard copy of The Atlantic this week, I saw that it was advertised on the cover with this title:

What Girls Want:
Vampires

Which I think is pretty funny. It also reminds me of a story that my sister Sally tells about her third-grade students. Every year she tells them the story of Sir Gawain and the Loathly Lady, in which Sir Gawain must guess the answer to the question: What do women want? When the story reaches its climax, Sally stops and asks her class: What do you think the answer is? And every year, two things happen. The girls sit and cock their heads, obviously thinking, What DO I want? And the boys all yell out: Boyfriends!

Of course the answer, given as well by The Wife of Bath (as my cube mate Krista reminded me today), is: their own way.
-

2 Comments:

Blogger DJ said...

OR: a foot rub every now and again. . . .

January 13, 2009 at 4:26 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

OR: handbags.

That article was A++.

January 23, 2009 at 6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home