Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar Recap

-
I tend to be more forgiving of the Oscars than most, but last night's ceremony was the worst I can remember. Hugh Jackman's cutesy song-and-dance number, the endless montages, the expanded introductions (now we have FIVE presenters for the acting categories instead of one), the lack of humor, the lackluster fashion. As I summarized to a friend:

Dresses: BLAH
Jackman: UGH
Ceremony: AWFUL
Awards: BORING
Length: INTERMINABLE

I cannot remember a single gown from last night. All I know is there were an awful lot of them that were phlegm-colored. Not even bright white. Somewhere between the color of old rain puddles and ash. Actually, now I'm remembering one: Meryl Streep looked fabulous in her glowy taupe dress, not-too-severe-and-not-too-poufy updo, and her perfect makeup.

Hugh Jackman was not funny. And he's not THAT great a dancer or singer to make the cheesy song-and-dance worth it. Sophia Loren looked pissed to be praising Meryl Streep, and Meryl looked embarrassed for her . . . like they both know that Meryl Streep is wayyyy out of Sophia Loren's league, and Sophia had to resort to her busty dress and hand-on-hip tude to make up for it.

I did enjoy the success of Slumdog Millionaire, and I was glad that Sean Penn won Best Actor. Though I'm happy for the success of The Wrestler, Mickey Rourke just hasn't earned that honor yet. Let's revisit in five years and see if the comeback has held.

But watching the Oscars was still fun because of the wry company of my beloved Cubes. They were the lucky recipients of Oscar gift bags, including such primo swag as a gossip magazine, breath mints, and a tampon. Never say I never gave you anything, Cubes!










2 Comments:

Blogger DJ said...

I AM SURPRISED: that the spouse and general populous (at least as accessed online at favorite B-rated gossip sites) were in support of El Yak Man [or Huge Ackhole, if you will]). everyone hailed the Musical as the new It girl. talked about how the oscars retooling Worked. considered top hats a burgeoning trend.* curious.

* some of our commentary may not be strictly factual.

February 24, 2009 at 2:40 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

I thought Natalie Portman and Evan Rachael Wood looked very nice, but were they in different shades of the same dress? Everyone in a mermaid-style gown looked ridiculous. Melissa George looked like she was on her way to her own wedding. Not a good look. . . .

February 24, 2009 at 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home