Friday, June 12, 2009

My Part in the Cultural Decline of the West

-
Those of you who know me well know that I am virulently anti-tabloid. I will buy a People magazine once in a great while, but that's it. And I will never buy a magazine with Prince Harry or Prince William on the cover because their lives were damaged forever by the public lust for sensationalism. I really think people's lives are hurt by the massive industry of celebrity gossip.

And yet I am to be found, every Thursday, at the supermarket, picking up the latest issue of a rag called "Life & Style." Why? Because "Life & Style" has figured out that if they put Rob Pattinson on the cover, Lynn Weber and thousands of her ilk will buy it. And so they put Rob Pattinson on the cover. EVERY WEEK.

I usually buy an Oprah magazine and maybe a Time magazine to sandwich the Life & Style in between so I won't be seen buying it.
-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home