Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sticks and Stones

-
I was reading in The Week again about the increase in gun and ammo sales following Obama's inauguration. And it dawned on me that this is the right wing equivalent of saying "I'm moving to Canada." People aren't really concerned that Obama is going to outlaw guns; it's obvious he's not. But it's a way of saying "My candidate lost, and I'm pissed about it."

Saying "I'm going to move to Canada" seems an infinitely healthier way of dealing with disappointment than buying guns, but okay.
-

6 Comments:

Blogger Bird said...

I think a lot of the people who are out stockpiling weapons (and probably also canned food, and KJ bibles) really do believe that Obama is going to outlaw guns. Just like they believe he's not a U.S. citizen, wasn't elected legally, will brainwash their children if they have any exposure to him whatsoever, and so on.

I'm not great fan of Obama's, but I think you're giving this particular facet of the right wing too much credit for rational thought.

September 10, 2009 at 2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, there are those too. . . . Some are just exploiting these topics to make a statement, but some really do believe these things. *Shiver* It's a scary world out there outside of my Eastern liberal cocoon!

September 10, 2009 at 5:37 PM  
Blogger DJ said...

i've actually heard a LOT of conservatives talking about moving to canada (ironically) of late.

September 10, 2009 at 11:01 PM  
Blogger DJ said...

i've actually heard a LOT of conservatives talking about moving to canada (ironically) of late.

September 10, 2009 at 11:01 PM  
Blogger DJ said...

good thing my comment posted twice. clearly i *really* mean it.

September 11, 2009 at 1:03 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

I wonder if those conservatives are aware that Canada has . . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

SOCIALIZED MEDICINE!!!11

September 12, 2009 at 5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home