Monday, January 25, 2010

You, Bread Baker

-
This is the easiest bread I have ever made. It is easier than using a bread machine. And it the most delicious bread I have ever made myself.

Some time ago I realized that bread that I made at home (either by hand or with the machine) never had the depth of flavor that really good bakery or restaurant bread has. After reading up on the topic, I determined it must be because that great flavor comes through slow, long rises. I even investigated doing the rise in the refrigerator to slow down the yeast action.

Jim Lahey's "My Bread" Cookbook:






























This Christmas my mother-in-law Maggie gave me a cookbook called "My Bread" by Jim Lahey, along with a cast-iron kettle (Dutch oven). I used it for the first time this weekend, and loved the results. If you don't have a cast-iron kettle, I think you can probably use a cast-iron skillet or even just bake it on a regular baking sheet.

Lodge's Cast Iron Dutch Oven:
























So here is the recipe that can turn you into a bread baker:

Jim Lahey's Basic No-Knead Bread Recipe:

1. Mix together in a bowl:
3 cups flour
1-1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast

2. Stir in 1-1/2 cups cold water (55-65 degrees, which is what comes out of my cold tap); stir for about 30 seconds until combined into sticky dough.

3. Cover and let rise for 12-18 hours.

4. Uncover and shape lightly into a round shape; cover and rise 1-2 hours more.

5. Bake (covered) for 30 minutes in a 475-degree oven. Uncover and bake about 15 minutes more.

NOTE: If you have a cast-iron kettle or skillet, put it in the oven while the oven preheats. When the oven reaches 475 degrees, take it out and put the dough in the hot kettle, then back in the oven to cook.

When I get my nerve up, I'm going to try cooking the bread in our fireplace. We'll build up a good bank of embers and snuggle the kettle in it.

-

3 Comments:

Blogger DJ said...

i loooooooooooooooved the bread you made us. so good. so simple. perfectly crusty with a soft, fluffy center. and it TASTED LIKE BREAD. the thing that terrifies me about breadmaking is the yeast step. i often kill it with water of the wrong temperature, or else the bread doesn't rise properly in the amount of time it's supposed to. i despair, lynn kibble, of ever being an adequate baker.

January 26, 2010 at 1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The yeast temperature thing was one of the things I liked most about the recipe. I guarantee if you use the water out of your cold tap, it will come out perfect. There's no chance it will be too hot, and the long rise time ensures that it will rise enough.

January 26, 2010 at 3:19 PM  
Anonymous eve said...

Oooh, not that ANY of us are likely to do late fall or early spring camping in tents again in this lifetime, but (well maybe me -- I see girlscouts and boyscouts ahead), BUT can you just imagine, start this and have it either for breakfast (if you have a kind soul who wants to get up early enough to make the bed of coals) or dinner after hiking. . . my mouth is watering. Can't wait to try it. PS the warm water just kick starts the yeast so it doesn't have to rise so long that is why cold rises work but take longer.. .

January 26, 2010 at 11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home