Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Poll: Bleak House

-
I'm about 60 pages into Bleak House and am considering giving up. It started brilliantly with that description of the London fog, but I'm finding it uninteresting overall. I force myself to read a couple chapter each night, but it's a chore.

Any advice on plodding on versus giving up? I generally feel free to give up on a book that I'm not enjoying, but this is one of Dickens' masterpieces, right? Has anyone read it who can advise? Maybe it becomes richer and more brilliant with every chapter?
-

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynn, I reread Bleak House last year and it took me awhile to get into it, but I ended up thinking it one of his best. I think the pace of the story does go faster once most of the characters are introduced. I was rather bored with Ada and Richard though throughout. Susan E

March 3, 2010 at 7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS Have been meaning to thank you for your recommendation of In the Woods which I had a hard time getting into but ended up loving. I'm now reading her second. I hear the third will center around the undercover cop from this one and that she even come back to the narrator from In the Woods So thanks! Susan E

March 3, 2010 at 7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so glda you liked In the Woods. I didn't like The Likeness as much, but it's still worth reading. Read my review of it on GoodReads once you've finished, and we can compare notes.

March 3, 2010 at 8:21 PM  
Blogger DJ said...

i have not read bleak house, and still i offer my commentary!! i generally think it's worth it to wade to the end of difficult books that are considered classics. usually there's a pretty significant payoff. that is all.

March 5, 2010 at 11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True . . . true dat.

March 5, 2010 at 5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home