Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Day of Beagling

-
I made the mistake of talking on my cell phone while trying to attend to Rocky, who was on his leash but roaming free through the trees near our house. While I was caught up in my conversation, he slipped out of sight. Normally this isn't a problem because he's attached to his leash, which means he can't go too far without getting stuck in a bush or the leash wrapped around a branch.

So I was a little disconcerted that I couldn't find him. After roaming the paths for a good half hour, I caught sight of him. His leash had actually broken off, no doubt when it got stuck and he was pulling at it. So now he had his collar and harness on, but only about six inches of leash attached to him, leaving him free to run without impediment. I almost caught him twice, but he scampered away like a fresh young puppy.

Five hours later, when we found him in the dark, he was quite the old dog. He put up no resistance, didn't run away, and could barely make it up the hill to our house. Even when he came in the door, he couldn't make it into the living room at first, he was so worn down. He just laid down on the little rug in the entryway. After a while he made it to the living room, and Jay and I gave him little massages on his muscles. He was doing the doggy equivalent of a moan---a little humming sound Poor guy; he is totally wiped. (As are we.)
-

2 Comments:

Blogger DJ said...

"beagling. hrm. blarh blarh."
--Lord MoonPax

December 3, 2010 at 2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor pup! Hope he's feeling more sprightly today. Susan E

December 3, 2010 at 7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home