Sunday, April 22, 2007

Films about Tragedy

As I drove by my old college today, I thought about how vulnerable the students must feel this week. But also how, for outsiders with no direct ties to the victims, the Virginia Tech massacre seems slightly less horrific than that of Columbine, simply because high school kids are that tiny bit more vulnerable and, well, kid-like. That got me thinking about one of my favorite movies, Elephant, about a Columbine-like killing. It sounds like something no one would want to watch, but it's a truly wonderful and touching movie. Here are some of the best movies about tragedies. You may think to yourself, I don't want to watch a movie about THAT. But you did watch any of these, you would be glad you hadn't missed it:

Elephant
United 93
Hotel Rwanda
Pan's Labyrinth
The Magdalene Sisters
_

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home