Monday, May 21, 2007

Poem for a Lost Son

-
My friend Eve had some bad news this week. A friend's son committed suicide this week. He was only 14, and Eve wrote this poem for his father.


A Father’s Heart
[written for a friend whose teenage son killed himself]

How do we say good-bye
To a lifetime yet to be?
How do we say good-bye when death comes too soon?
How do we give up the hope
of the deep laughter and strength of a man?
Of college graduation and fatherhood?
Or our son as a friend later in life?
How do we stop dreaming the dreams of a lifetime?
In a moment, you slipped through our fingers
The noise has stopped
But the farewell will echo throughout our lives.

What did I fail to do that I should have done?
What did I do that was wrong?

I did not imagine that you'd meet God this way.
I wanted you to climb high finding Him on the mountain one day.
When you see God you'll understand why I dreamed for you
Why my heart is breaking

But I hear a voice whisper in my heart
"He is my son too ---
And my heart is breaking.
I did not call him home, but I welcome him home
– my son"

My son, my son
You died in battle.

A struggle that stole your energy and dreams.
A fight took the all of your strength.
I will remember the courage and the hope you used as weapons
In the skirmishes in your soul

I will remember not your last defeat
But rather the days you won against overwhelming odds

Your acts of kindness and thoughtfulness
Your days of strength and honor
Your laughter as a child
I will remember
How many things on this earth were your joy.

These things I will remember
As long as I can
I will look at this world for both of us
I will pray to God for both of us.
As long as I can
And I will live as well as you would want me to live
As long as I can
Until I see you at home.

Eve Greco
May 21, 2007

-

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh so beautiful. How wellEve put into words such heartbreak. Mamie

May 28, 2007 at 2:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home