Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Going Vegetarian

-
Jay and I are thinking seriously about becoming vegetarians. I don't have any quibble with the eating of meat in concept. But unfortunately the conditions in which meat is produced right now are awful. The animals aren't just killed; they're tortured. (I know, I know . . . many of you are thinking, "Well, duh . . . " but somehow I didn't realize the true nature of meat production until recently; I've never minded hunting and still don't.) There's been a lot of food talk among friends and in the media in the last few weeks, culminating with a list of books put together by Martha Grimes (one of my favorite mystery writers) about the treatment of animals in meat production. I honestly don't think I could read these books; her short blurbs were painful enough.

We'll see if we can keep it up. We were both vegetarians in the past, and I gave it up after finding it too hard to get protein. But I think I'll do much better with that this time, and the anti-cruelty angle is new for me.
-

2 Comments:

Blogger wordwitch said...

You could always look into either hunting for your food (venison, turkey, etc.) or buying someone else's hunting results. That way you'd have your protein but actually KNOW where your meat is coming from. Think of all the hunters who just go for the hide/head and don't use the meat...

March 5, 2008 at 12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a bad idea, but arranging for hunted meat sounds like more work than I'd be willing to put in to get the animal protein. Bean-and-grain combos, here I come!

March 5, 2008 at 2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home