Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Homicide/Suicide Stats

-
I heard these stats on NPR this morning for homicides and suicides in the U.S. in 2005. I don't know what I would have guessed these stats were, but not this:

Homicides in 2005: 14,000
Suicides in 2005: 32,000

Here are some other stats that I found on endabuse.org:


In 2000, intimate partner homicides accounted for 33.5 percent of the murders of women and less than four percent of the murders of men.

Pregnant and recently pregnant women are more likely to be the victims of homicide than to die of any other cause.

I've often wondered what percentage of female homicides are domestic; I actually would have guessed a little more than 33 percent.


--

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

November 10, 2008 at 6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home