Monday, March 30, 2009

DVD Audio Commentary

-
I watched Twilight with the audio commentary on last night but gave up after about a half hour. Most audio commentaries are drivel, which is a shame, because the good ones can enhance a movie a lot. I was thinking about what makes an audio commentary worthwhile (cause I know Scorsese is a regular reader):

1. DO talk about directing decisions: lighting, approaches to character, visual elements, symbolism.

2. DO talk about acting, how a role was developed and what it was like to interact with other actors.

3. DON'T talk about special effects, how a certain trick was carried out, what is CGI and what isn't. Leave it for the technical commentary if there is one.

4. DON'T be incessantly self-deprecating (this seems to be a problem with actors in particular, who are chary of seeming self-important).

5. DON'T reminisce about anecdotes relating to the filming but unrelated to the movie itself. Not that these things can't be interesting or amusing, but they cut into the time the director and actors could be talking about, you know, directing and acting.

The best commentary I've heard is the one by David Cronenberg on his film Spider (with Ralph Fiennes). It illuminated the film so much.
-

3 Comments:

Blogger DJ said...

oh. see? i *love* set stories.

March 30, 2009 at 7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The audio commentary on the Keira Knightley Pride and Prejudice is really great. I learned so much from listening to it.

Also, Lynn, I went back and read your blog on New Moon and Eclipse - very good. I loved Eclipse. it has the traditional enemies that work together and fight between good and evil, as well as the ? of Bella's choices. I love how Rosalie shares her story and it made me stop and think about what Bella really should do. Up until then I was "yeah, become a vampire," but after her comments about missing having children and growing old with someone, it made me pause. Hmmmm.
Sally

March 31, 2009 at 11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is really good to know about the Pride & Prejudice commentary. I have the DVD, so I will try to listen to it sometime soon. I had the exact same reaction about Bella's predicament that you did during Eclipse. I love all the backstories that you get in Eclipse. They really make you understand why Edward is always insisting that Bella shouldn't want to become a "monster." And you realize that some of the things that Edward wants for Bella (going to the prom, having a wedding) are things that HE'S never had the chance to experience either.

April 1, 2009 at 12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home