Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Are You a 33rd-Century Calpitater?

-
As I told myself that a certain policy at work was "corporate proceduralism gone berserk" I remembered that a berserker was a a type of Viking warrior. This type of warrior would work himself up into a frenzy before battle, such that he wouldn't feel pain in the midst of it. Berserkers were feared warriors back in 9th-century AD northern Europe.

It's crazy to think that the term for this small group of warriors in a small society has endured 12 centuries and is a common word today, even if most people don't know where it came from. It's as if, 1200 years from now, the term "couch potato" had endured and become the term, all over Asia, for a lazy dropout.
-

1 Comments:

Blogger DJ said...

why, yes. yes, i am. do you have a problem with that?
pass me my Chex mix,
dj

April 15, 2009 at 10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home