Friday, January 29, 2010

"A Comet Appears"

-

Love this song by the Shins. A quiet song of desperation and beauty---right up my alley.


“A Comet Appears”

One hand on this wily comet
Take a drink just to give me some weight.
Some uber-man I’d make,
I’m barely a vapor.

They shone a chlorine light on
A host of individual sins.
Let’s carve my aging face off,
Fetch us a knife,
Start with my eyes,
Down so the lines
Form a grimacing smile.

Close your eyes to corral a virtue,
Is this fooling anyone else?
Never worked so long and hard,
To cement a failure.

We can blow on our thumbs and posture,
But the lonely are such delicate things.
The wind from a wasp could blow them
Into the sea
With stones on their feet,
Lost to the light and the loving we need.

Still to come
The worst part and you know it.
There is a numbness
In your heart and it’s growing.

With burnt sage and a forest of bygones,
I click my heels,
Get the devils in line.
A list of things I could lay the blame on
Might give me a way out.

But with each turn it’s this front and center,
Like a dart stuck square in your eye.
Every post you can hitch your faith on,
Is a pie in the sky
Chock full of lies
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly.

And still to come
The worst part and you know it.
There is a numbness
In your heart and it’s growing.

-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home