Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter, Courtesy of Dad

-
Easter was a great holiday for my siblings and I when we were growing up. The forsythias were usually just blooming, the crocuses were up, and we often had a new Easter outfit to wear to church. The week before, my mom would have led us in dyeing eggs, and the smell of vinegar still makes me think of home.

But the best part of Easter was the hunt for our Easter baskets. My dad didn't simply hide the baskets. Each child had a set of clues that led from one hidden clue to another, finally ending in the basket. There were usually four or five clues per child. It's amazing to think that Dad wrote five clues for between two and four children every year for more than twenty years! I still remember some of the hiding places: inside the washing machine, taped to the bottom of our dining room table (with the tablecloth hanging down so we couldn't see it), inside a utility closet. We absolutely loved trying to figure our the clues; he crafted them with just the right difficulty level for each child (though, of course, we were all gifted).

Thank you, Dad, for all those great Easter Sundays!!

-

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminders of those wonderful days. I think dyeing real eggs for Easter has completely disappeared from our culture, and yet it was so much fun.
Sally

April 4, 2010 at 9:19 PM  
Blogger DJ said...

oh, no, sally, my brothers and sisters who have kids still dye easter eggs every year and love it! granted, the plastic colored eggs are abundant, but i think there are lots of families eager to scorch their fingers and stink like vinegar yet!

happy easter, all.

April 4, 2010 at 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet it's way, way down from the number of families who did it when we were growing up, though. I'm glad the Justice families are upholding this practice!

April 5, 2010 at 12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home