Thursday, October 25, 2007

Author Robert Harris

-
My friend Debbie recommended Harris's book "Fatherland" to me some time ago, and I loved it. It's a police procedural set in an alt-history post-WWII world in which the Nazis won in Europe. I loved that it's plausible both as a police procedural and as a world; you really believe that this is what it could have been like.

Now I'm halfway through his novel "Enigma" set in Bletchley Park in WWII, and it is just as good. Apparently it was made into a movie in 2002 with Kate Winslet and other known names, and the reviews were mixed but pretty good overall; and yet I have no memory of this movie. Will have to Netflix.
-

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The movie was only fair to middling. I adore Kate W., but the script was merely meh. In fact, when I saw the movie I didn't realize that it was based on Harris's book of the same name and saw so many parallels to Fatherland that I thought it was a heavily adapted version of *that* work. Glad to hear the book is good. I'll pick it up.

October 31, 2007 at 4:22 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Did you know that Robert Harris is Nick Hornby's brother-in-law? Just a little tidbit I freakishly remember from reading Hornby's The Polysyllabic Spree. I'll have to read Fatherland.

November 3, 2007 at 9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, and I read The Polysyllabic Spree too! Fun book.

Lynn

November 7, 2007 at 2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home